He Captured My Heart

Easter and passover are around the corner. Easter, Good Friday thru Resurrection Sunday are by far my favourite days of any year.  If It where up to me, Good Friday would be dark and stormy, the sun would hid itself from our view.  The wind would blow, the earth would mourn.

I am in awe of what happened 2000 years ago when Immanuel, God with us, allowed the Roman soldiers to nail Him, the Creator and Saviour of the world, to a cross.

Sunday marked the beginning of Holy Week, as we remember the Triumphal Entry Jesus made into Jerusalem.  The gospel writers tell us that the crowds cheered as Jesus came into the city on the back of donkey.

'Hosanna, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord'.  When I close my eyes I can see the crowds, tossing their palm branches to the ground, cheering the arrival of the one they had seen and heard.  The man whose words were not like any other.  The one who had given sight to the blind, words to the dumb and legs to the lame.  The one who had called Lazarus from the grave.

The Jews were already gathering in Jerusalem to celebrate the anniversary of the exile from Egypt so many generations ago.  The memories of their forefathers, the plagues, Moses, Pharaoh, and yet here they were again, occupied by Rome.  The prophets had told of a Messiah, a coming deliverer, was this who they cheered?

The one that would come to sit on David's throne.  David, the great King in Israel's history, he was a triumphant warrior, they would sings songs of David killing his tens of thousands.  Surely if this one, riding on the donkey was the Messiah, He would deliverer them from the hands of the Romans.

The cheers of Hosanna, (save us) would soon sour on their lips and with in days their cries of joy would turn to hatred and they would scream Crucify Him!!!

The heaviness of that day weighs on my heart this time of year, as it should.  The King of Peace, whose reign is universal, the creator and redeemer of this world allowed those Roman soldiers to fire the nails in to His hands and feet because of me.

It is my fault, I am guilty, it was my sin that placed Him there.  Perhaps what is even more difficult to admit is that if I had been their that day, my cheering would stopped and crucify Him would have crossed my lips.

We like to rush through Good Friday to get to Sunday, but we must feel the pain Friday, I must feel the weight of the my sin that called for His death.

And in His mercy He cried out for my forgiveness.  I love Him because He first loved me.

1 John 4:19 - We love because He first loved us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who do you say He is?

How do you measure love?

Called by my King